Thursday, November 20, 2008

bearing a lot of weight

As some of you know my dad died earlier this year. Yesterday was his birthday and it did feel a little weird. We lived apart and didn't have the greatest relationship but I do miss him very much. He was always a phone call away if I ever needed anything. I'm not someone to hang on to the negative though. Yesterday I prayed for him hoping that even with the life he chose to live that he accepted Jesus and is in a better place. I really didn't think about it too much after that though.
Instead I have a lot of different things weighing on my heart. The very sensitive balance of work and family for instance. And even more recently are the struggles of some of my junior high students. It saddens me a lot more to see other people hurting than anything that people might think hurts me. I'm constantly praying for my students and trying to do what I can to remedy their situations. This takes some time because you have to build a relationship first and then show yourself as someone who cares and can help. I'm persistent and have been gaining ground slowly but surely. By junior high I have been through and seen a lot. I'm glad god brought me here to share with my students so they don't have to feel alone. My heart breaks for some of these guys. Lately I'm pretty quiet around the house and praying all the time for the wisdom to help. I can tell some of these guys truly need me and I just need to grow so I can serve them better.

P.S. I know you weren't around a lot and made some mistakes, but I know how much you love us dad. Thanks for making me the strong man that I am today. I love you.

No comments: